Friday 14 February 2014

INTERVIEW - Aleksi Eeben / Principal Sound Designer at Nokia



Aleksi Eeben - Principal Sound Designer at Nokia Design

A little bit background...

-When did you start composing?

I have been writing music for as long as I can remember. Since 1988?



-At what age?

That would be around 12. A bonus track on one of my albums is actually a Commodore 64 piece I composed at 13. I was fascinated by digital sounds much earlier, though. I got a VIC 20 in 1984 or 1985 and the user's manual had a great appendix of short sound effect programs. It was all very easy to gasp, so maybe that was the start of something. The noise generator was a lion. And it still is.


-Did you play some instrument or?

Casio keyboard and later a bass guitar, a little. But I never went to a music school or played in a band. At one time I studied music somewhat obsessively on my own, but hey come on, those balls and sticks, what a ridiculous notation system you have there!


-What you are doing now as a profession?

I'm Principal Sound Designer at Nokia Design, soon moving to Microsoft. I started at Nokia in late 2002. We're a relatively small team. My sounds can be heard in over 1200 million mobile phones. I've recorded our cat, antique cameras, composed ringing tones for a symphony orchestra and done a little bit of everything between.


-Which tools (apps, software, mobile apps...) you currently use?

Tools themselves are not that interesting really, because they all do the same thing: manipulating and ordering sounds on a timeline. I currently have Logic Pro X, TwistedWave and some plug-ins. No gear, cables are annoying.


-Can your music be found somewhere? 

Yes, you can find my music on iTunes, Spotify and some on SoundCloud. And also Nokia Design Team has a SoundCloud page.


-What wise advice you would give for aspiring musicians?

Listen!


No comments:

Post a Comment